Chin Straps like all other anti-snoring devices, address the same issue.
A snore chin strap is a device that fits around your head and holds the mouth closed and the lower jaw in a certain position while you are sleeping.
Some are more effective than others.
Depending on which one you buy you could have difficulties with it staying in place or keeping the jaw closed and extended like it is meant to do.
Beginning the Investigation
I started my research online, browsing through various products which advertised that they can solve my snoring problems.
Snoring not only causes you to wake up tired from not having a good night’s sleep, but in many cases it can be dangerous to your health.
Before I came across the anti-snoring jaw strap, I had tried other types of devices in the past.
Notably MAD (Mandibular Advancement Device) and TRD (Tongue Retaining Device).
I was searching for different solutions, and found what is known as a chin strap.
These products are fairly effective and have their pros and cons.
How they work
Chin strap for snoring is made of fabric or cloth and it is specially fitted around your head using straps.
Most head straps have slits on the sides so your ears can fit nicely inside of them while you are wearing it, keeping the product in place while you sleep.
However, I have also come across some that do not have these slits for your ears to fit through.
In my experience wearing ones without the cut out openings for your ears, makes wearing them more challenging and also easier to slide off during the night.
The bottom portion of the product goes down and around your jaw and holds your mouth in a closed position while you sleep.
This is where this specially designed product actually works – it is intended also to extend your jaw forward as well as keep your mouth closed. This is the foundation of what is needed to prevent you from snoring.
Chin straps mainly address open mouth snorers, according to statistics open mouth snorers compromise 80% of the snoring population.
Most likely someone reading this article falls into this category. Snoring occurs when the tongue slips towards the back of the throat while you sleep and the tongue presses up against the soft flesh in the back and creates vibrations.
These vibrations are the cause of snoring.
Personally, my throat has a lot of fatty tissue and typically people with more fatty tissue will experience more snoring than others. Each individual is different however, so even people with smaller throats can experience this as well.
Finally, by holding your jaw in the forward position, this prevents the tongue from slipping towards the back of the throat. Sleep chin straps are a good, comfortable option to achieve this goal.
No preparation is needed
One of the best aspects of chinstraps, is that they require no preparation!
Sometimes I get tired of having to clean a device every morning, take special care, or store it in a certain environment.
Other devices require a lot of ‘prep time’, whereas this does not. Mainly what other anti-snoring products require is a lengthy setup process.
MAD devices need you to ‘boil and bite’ to prepare them. This can be nerve-wracking and time-consuming. Additionally, if it is not fitted correctly, you must boil and bite again.
If this is done too many times, the material can be compromised and the product could become unusable.
Not the case with chinstraps. As soon as you receive one, you can open the packaging and go right to bed if so desired.
Cleaning is as simple as washing any of your clothes. Just put it in with the wash, then dry, then you are ready to use it again. Most come with a comfortable fabric, so there is no need to worry about any kind of irritation or skin allergy. I found the ones I have tried were all very comfortable to wear.
Many other products come with adjustments, wrenches or settings needed to be made before use. There are times when you might have to get a mouthpiece down to an exact millimeter before use. Again, another positive for snoring headbands – there is no wrench, and no tools needed before you begin wearing one.
There are different sizes you may purchase and that is the most complicated process you will have to go through when buying one.
I always go with the larger version because my head is bigger than normal. After buying the size desired, the only thing left to do is place it on your head and fit it to your jaw.
Sleeping at Night
You might think having something on your head and holding your jaw closed for the entire night is uncomfortable. I found that not the case at all. They can be very comfortable, and very easy to get used to.
Another concern before purchasing one, is being worried that it might fall off while you are sleeping. Another situation where I found this not to be a cause for concern. I am a very light sleeper, and tend to toss and turn quite frequently throughout the night.
Properly designed jaw supporter is meant to fit snuggly on your head and have no movement during the night. I will go through the entire night with the head strap properly in place, and the bottom firmly on my jaw.
These products deliver as advertised. The fact that some go around your ears is what keeps the product in place so well. It uses your ears as an ‘anchor’ more or less so there is no way for it to slip off. My ears are average size, so even someone with smaller ears should have nothing to worry about.
Let’s start with the positives:
- Easy to set up and start using. As soon as you receive one you can just open the package, put it on, secure the top and bottom, and you are ready for bed. There is no preparation needed.
- Easy to store. Other products need special storing procedures, but with this you can just throw it in the closet or drawer and you are ready to go.
- Easy to clean. Again, this is the simplest of all the anti-snoring devices I have come across when it comes to cleaning. All that is needed is to put it in the wash with the laundry, and the cleaning is done. Not having to clean something every morning is a relief and a time-saver.
- Mouth is free from having anything inside of it. Something else I get sick of after a while. Night in and night out of having to wear something inside the mouth is a little exhausting. With this, there is no need to place anything inside the mouth – unlike every other anti-snoring device on the market.
- Comfortable to wear, no irritation. If the fabric is well made, there won’t be any issues with irritation or skin allergies. I find the feeling of it against my hair, side of my face, and lower jaw to be fine. There is no discomfort during the night for having something on my face for such a long period of time. Contrary to what I would have originally thought!
- Impossible to break. OK, so it can be torn, or be worn down over many, many times of being used. However, other products – MAD and TRD devices – can sometimes be easily broken, or worn down even faster.
- Cannot be compromised during setup. This is a special case for MAD devices since there is the necessity of boiling and biting these products to get the fitting just right. After even two attempts for some of these products, the mouthpiece material will be compromised! Not the case with chin straps – which is a relief. Set up is entirely stress-free!
- People with dental work are able to use it. This is another big positive for choosing this type of anti-snoring product. If you have had any kind of dental work done, this is not a problem. Dentures, crowns, caps, or loose teeth are all OK. The reason is that nothing is placed inside the mouth, as with MAD or TRD devices. These grip onto the teeth, and could cause problems with dental work that has been done in the past. Not the case with chin straps. This is totally outside the mouth, so any type of dental work is okay to purchase this and use.
- One drawback of having a chinstrap wrapped around your head and closing your mouth shut – is there is not any way to breathe through your mouth. I have tried to wear one and breath through my mouth, but it is not possible because the goal is to keep the mouth shut! This is a problem for when my allergies are flaring up. If you have any sinus problems, nasal blockage, or allergies you will not be able to wear a one. However, if allergies come and go, and sinus infections come and go it is still a viable product to test. You can wear it when your nose is free from any blockage and still have a good night of sleep.
What type of people is a chin strap good for?
Well, to be honest it fits many different types of individuals. If you have just started looking for an anti-snoring solution, or if you have already tried many different products – this might be just what you are looking for.
For new users, it is an easy way to break into anti-snoring products. It is very easy to use, very comfortable, and takes no preparation.
You will not have to go through any instructions on how to use the product, it is simply open and use. You can then judge the effectiveness and choose to research or purchase more products.
Personally I have a few different ones at my disposal. I like to rotate between products as I get tired of using the same one consistently.
Remember, each person is different! What works for me, or someone else you know might not work for you. We all have different facial structures, and tolerances, I recommend you continue to try and test more products if this will be your first one.
For users who are veterans to testing these and have been using different mouthpieces for a long term, this will be a nice change to what you are used to. I was surprised at the results I got from the first time I used one, and I have used MAD and TRD devices for a long time previously.
If my allergies are not present, I really enjoy using a chin strap because frankly sometimes I get tired of constantly having something inside my mouth. Even though my top products are not invasive or intrusive, I need a break from them.
Chin strap can be a great solution for a snoring problem, especially for open-mouth snorers.
If you do not have any permanent nasal blockage, I would recommend this type of anti-snoring device as something you should try and purchase, and it could eventually make it into your permanent rotation as it has done for me!
I have personally tried one of chin strap devices, a product is called My Snoring Solution (MSS).
I was cautious and hesitant to buy one, but the results were good with the MSS chin strap and it is now in my rotation of top products to use when I need to change.
One reason I like it so much was the fact that it comes in different sizes and I found the largest size fit me well and throughout the night I had no issues with it falling off.
I have written a complete review about My Snoring Solution, which someone who is just starting their research will find useful as well as someone who has previously bought other products.
Which Product Should I Choose?
Every person has a unique mouth and needs, so one that is perfect for one person may not be the best option for another.
There are well over 100 products on the market, so making a decision can be quite daunting.
You will find a lot of helpful information in the comparison chart, and I have written reviews of several products.
If you would rather not spend a lot of time reading reviews, please consult my article titled “My Mouthpiece Recommendation”. I have compiled a list of three products that I believe are the best options, based on my experience.