Snoring is a medical condition that can have a huge impact on a person’s quality of life. Not only does it affect the snorer’s quality of life, but it can also effect their partner. Side effects include daytime fatigue, obesity, and even more serious side effects such as heart disease and stroke.
The number of remedies for snoring vary widely and even include solutions that you can do naturally without the use of a specific product. Some examples of these natural remedies are exercising your jaw or exercising the manner in which you breathe. Another, more recently popular natural remedy is something that is known as essential oils.
It is important to understand what causes snoring first before finding the proper solution. The natural homeopathic solution of essential oils will have a stronger effect if you know what your specific needs are.
What can cause snoring?
Snoring is due to a variety of different reasons and some are simpler to treat than others. Some causes include, but are not limited to:
- Sinus problems. Individuals with sinus issues, ranging from mild to severe will have issues breathing at night that lead to snoring.
- The more overweight a person is, the more likely they will snore. Weight can be a factor in the severity of the snoring for an individual as well.
- During an allergic attack and thereby when the nose becomes blocked can lead to snoring.
- Digestion related issues. Heartburn or indigestion can lead to snoring due to the way they soften the soft palate of the throat.
- Alcohol, Smoking or Stress. These can contribute to smoking as well as an overall unhealthy lifestyle.
- Sleeping on the back. The manner in which we sleep at night can cause snoring due to the way the tongue relaxes in the throat. Simply sleeping on the side can alleviate snoring naturally.
These are all mostly causes due to our lifestyle, and can be fixed by adjusting or eliminating bad habits in our lives. Snorers who need a more serious treatment for snoring which cannot be fixed by lifestyle changes can choose to purchase a snoring mouthpiece in addition to using what is known as essential oils.
What are essential oils?
Essential oils have many different names such as ethereal oils, volatile oils, aetherolea; essential oil is simply the oil that is extracted from the plant which it came.
The oil captures the plant’s fragrance as well as the characteristics from the plant that it is derived from. Essential oils are extracted from plants most commonly by a method known as distillation.
Distillation is a process of evaporation and condensation which separates the components of a substance – in this case oil. The oil retains the scent, fragrance and certain healing properties from the plant in which it comes from.
A real-world example would be the extraction of thyme oil from the thyme herb.
The oil would retain an identical scent from the thyme herb and have effective homeopathic properties inside the oil that you would also find in the herb.
Many cultures around the world have been using essential oils for centuries, and this powerful method of healing is now becoming popular in the western world as well.
There is quite a bit of evidence of the healing properties that essential oils provide.
Which essential oils are the ones for snoring?
As you could imagine, there are hundreds of different types of essential oils since they can be extracted from almost any plant, herb, or flower.
These oils can then also be combined in any combination, creating even more possibilities.
The aroma is not the only aspect of essential oils, the oils and aromas contain healing properties that help ailments ranging from stress to anxiety, pain, headaches, snoring, sleeplessness, and more.
The most popular essential oils used to treat snoring are the following:
- Tea Tree
- Pine Needle
- Cedar Wood
- Blue Tansy
- Roman Chamomile
- German Chamomile
What really makes essential oils and holistic healing special is they can be used in conjunction with any other method of treatment you are using at the time.
If you are using anti-snoring devices or trying to lose weight to stop snoring, using a combination of essential oils will be ok to use as well.
Different types of essential oils work for different issues. Depending on what exactly your symptom is will determine which essential oil you should use.
There are some general guidelines on which essential oils you should use depending on which symptoms you have such as:
- Blue Tansy, German Chamomile, Roman Chamomile, Geranium, Lavender.
- Inflammation from related infections. Thyme, Tea Tree, Lavender, Eucalyptus, Cedar Wood, Marjoram.
- Blocked nose, congestion, colds or an inflammatory condition. Thyme, Cedar Wood, Sandalwood, Peppermint, Pine Needle.
As stated previously there are hundreds of essential oils, the list above only covers a few that are known to help snorers based on the possible cause of the snoring.
Others that are not in the list, but rather are a more general solution for snoring are Sage, Lemon, Rosemary, Clove, Citronella, and Melissa.
You can mix any combination and test different types of essential oils if you are not sure which one to choose.
Almost all essential oils mix together well and create the calming and healing effect you need to sleep well and ease snoring. Finding the right combination is not difficult and only needs the proper research.
Is this a real solution to treat snoring?
It most definitely is a real solution to treat snoring. There have not been a multitude of clinical studies based on treating snoring with essential oils; however, there have been some and those have shown positive results.
Royal Shrewsbury Hospital in the United Kingdom published a study from 2004 stating that snoring can be treated effectively using essential oils.
Royal Shrewsbury has a snoring clinic and 140 patients partook in the study there and it was reported they had an improvement to their snoring in two weeks.
How to use essential oils
There are actually quite a few different ways to use essential oils to treat snoring, but first and foremost you must handle the essential oils properly.
- Essential oils should be handled with caution. They can cause skin irritation if not diluted. You should test with a very small drop of the oil on a small portion of the skin to test with protective gloves at first. Then you can dilute it until your skin is comfortable to be in contact with the oil.
- Keep the essential oils away from children. This is not something that children should be in contact with. It should not be digested in any way unless a professional has been contacted and the oils have been diluted
- Pregnant women should not use essential oils unless you have consulted with a professional first. Not all essential oils are the same, and some you may be able to use, while others not. Contact a medical professional first if you are pregnant and thinking of using an essential oil.
When buying essential oils, you want to make sure you are purchasing a quality product that is guaranteed.
There is no governing body that regulates the essential oil industry, but you can make sure you use a reputable seller with reviews. Do not buy cheap essential oils and check the oils if you can before purchase.
Smelling them can be a simple test to see if they are real or a cheap imitation. Poor quality essential oils will not be as effective, waste your money and can in fact be harmful.
How to use essential oils to treat snoring
- If you gargle with essential oils, this can help with the treatment of snoring, specifically if you use this method before bedtime. The most common essential oil for gargling as a treatment for snoring is peppermint. Make sure you dilute it first and do not swallow any.
- Steam bath. Taking a steam bath before bedtime using your favorite essential oils can be very relaxing. Inhaling the oils in this manner is a fantastic way to use them.
- Room spray or diffuser. This is one of the most ideal ways to completely surround yourself with your favorite essential oils. You can breathe them in completely and the results for treating snoring are very positive.
- Massage oil that is home made. Before bedtime if you use an essential oil as a homemade massage oil (using a carrier oil) can be very effective. It will relax you before bedtime; you may use it on your neck, chest and feet for the best results.
Snoring is more than an annoyance, it is a life changing condition.
It can affect your daily life and even your relationships. The effects of snoring are damaging for you and the lives of those closest to you. You want to get treatment as soon as possible, and that includes using essential oils.
Essential oils have been studied clinically and even endorsed by professionals such as Dr. Josh Axe, who promotes using them in combination with other treatments.
Using essential oils properly and with the right mix of other treatments you can significantly reduce your snoring and improve your life.
Which Product Should I Choose?
Every person has a unique mouth and needs, so one that is perfect for one person may not be the best option for another.
There are well over 100 products on the market, so making a decision can be quite daunting.
You will find a lot of helpful information in the comparison chart, and I have written reviews of several products.
If you would rather not spend a lot of time reading reviews, please consult my article titled “My Mouthpiece Recommendation”. I have compiled a list of three products that I believe are the best options, based on my experience.