Kudo SnoreFighter Now is marketed as being 93 percent effective. This is a pretty impressive number, but is it actually true?
There are a lot of anti-snoring dental devices on the market that also claim to be effective, but that does not mean they all are.
Whether you are shopping for your first stop snoring mouthpiece or if you have tried a few products without success you want to make sure you are fully educated about SnoreFighter Now before deciding if it is the best one for you.
What is an MAD?
Kudo SnoreFighter Now is jaw advancing mouthpiece, which is an synonym for mandibular advancement device. It works by holding your jaw in a forward position, which eliminates storing. If you are not familiar with MADs then you are probably wondering how holding your jaw forward will help, right?
Well, when you sleep, gravity is able to pull your jaw and tongue towards your throat because all of your muscles are relaxed. When this happens your airway becomes obstructed, so the air that is able to squeeze through causes the soft tissues in your throat and uvula to vibrate.
This vibration causes the snoring noise you hear, so by holding your jaw while you sleep it eliminates the chance of your airway becoming obstructed. So, does SnoreFighter Now work?
A Closer Look at SnoreFighter Now
One thing that distinguishes SnoreFighter Now from other products is that you have your choice of three different mouthpieces. The one you choose will be dictated by your breathing habit. The options include:
• SnoreFighter KSF-NS – This appliance is designed specifically for nasal breathers. Since an air hole is not necessary, this design allows you to get a really tight fit, so you can close your mouth while you are sleeping.
• SnoreFighter KSF-MT – Individuals who breathe primarily through their mouth will be interested in this style. There are large air holes in front of the device that allow you to breathe freely while sleeping. This style is ideal for someone with a deviated septum, nasal polyps, or sinus issues. Are you not sure if you are a mouth breather? Well, do you wake up with a really dry mouth? If yes, then you are likely breathing through your mouth all night.
• SnoreFighter KSF-MN – This model is designed for snorers who breathe through both their nose and mouth. This would be a practical option for someone who generally breathes through their nose except for the entire spring season when their allergies are aggravated by ragweed and pollen.
Regardless which style SnoreFighter Now you may choose they are made of a moldable plastic resin that is nontoxic, hypoallergenic-certified, and tested and certified by the FDA. The devices itself is also FDA-cleared. Like other MADs, this one also uses a boil-and-bite method to achieve a custom fit. This fitting process is something you can handle in the privacy of your own home.
The Fitting Process
Many people are skeptical when there is only one size mouthpiece to choose from. Rest-assured that most of the best stop snoring mouthpieces only come in one size. The boil-and-bite method allows you to achieve more of a custom fit than you might expect.
- Begin by boiling about 2 cups of water.
- Pour the water into a mug or small bowl, so you do not risk touching the mouthpiece to the side of the hot pot.
- Submerge SnoreFighter Now for several seconds. This will soften the material so it can be molded.
- Allow it to cool a few seconds to a safe temperature.
- Insert the appliance in your mouth, and bite down with your jaw in a forward position.
- Push against your teeth with the tongue from the inside and your fingers on the outside to get a closer fit.
- Remove the device and submerge for a short period of time in cold water to speed up the hardening process. The device is now ready-to-use.
About the Company
Kudo Research was established in 2005 by Winston Li and Yanzhong Li to develop a snoring solution at an affordable price. This Connecticut-based company manufactures and distributes SnoreFighter Now. Kudo Research markets this product as being 93 percent effective.
Considering the effectiveness of most MADs is in the mid-80s, this is quite a high percentage. The manufacturer offers examples of several research studies on the site, but specific facts to back up this claim of effectiveness cannot be found.
Interestingly, on November 1, 2012, Ranir, LLC, an oral healthcare product company in Michigan filed a complaint that Kudo Research infringed on their intellectual property rights. The results of the case are not available, but in August 2013 the link for ordering information on the SnoreFighter Now website was broken.
Many wondered if the company would be able to sell the product again or if it would need to be redesigned. Ordering is possible today, so it is hard to say if the matter was cleared up or if there is still an ongoing case. If the latter is true you have to consider that the product might not be available in the future.
How Much Does SnoreFighter Now Cost?
SnoreFighter Now is an affordable snoring solution. For whatever reason, the three mouthpieces have three different prices that are a penny apart.
- KSF-MN – $39.97
- KSF-NS – $39.98
- KSF-MT – $39.99
Shipping for any design is $7. When the product was first made available to the public in 2009 it was only $40.99, including shipping, so it has experienced significant inflation. You can buy a second mouthpiece for $20, plus additional $2 shipping.
Kudo also offers a Loyal Customer Appreciation Program for repeat customers, which can save you up to 50 percent. SnoreFighter Now comes with a 60-day money back guarantee. Kudo Snoring Research will also exchange a defective or damaged item up to two times per unit. If problems continue beyond this a refund will be issued.
Pros and Cons
Although SnoreFighter Now is said to be 93 percent effective, it is important that you are familiar with all the pros and cons of this, or any mouthpiece you decide to purchase.
You should not base your decision solely on impressive numbers.
- Choice of three mouthpieces to accommodate both nasal and mouth breathers.
- Boil-and-bite technique allows you to achieve a custom fit.
- Made of nontoxic, hypoallergenic, and FDA-approved moldable plastic resin.
- Affordable pricing, and can add on a second device for $20 more.
- Ships within 36 hours.
- Fair exchange and return policy, and backed by a 60-day money back guarantee.
- Loyal Customer Appreciation Program for repeat customers.
- Although the material is FDA-approved the product itself is not cleared by the United States Food and Drug Administration.
- Higher shipping charges.
- Not able to make any lower jaw adjustments.
- Infringement claims filed by an established Michigan dental product company is worrisome.
- Can cause jaw soreness and drooling.
- Not suitable for denture wearers.
The one thing I like about SnoreFighter Now is that you can choose out of three different styles. I also appreciate the affordable price, money back guarantee, and the custom-fitting process. However, these qualities are commonly found on many MADS.
On the downside the case filed against the company raises a red flag, and I don’t like that the product is not FDA-cleared.
It is not considered the most comfortable option on the market, but I would recommend it to anyone looking for a temporary solution to use as a stepping stone before ordering a higher-quality unit. If you are serious about a long-term solution, I recommend VitalSleep.
It is an MAD that uses a boil-and-bite fitting process, but it allows you to make lower jaw adjustments, so you can tailor the device to your mouth for the highest level of effectiveness. It also has a large air hole that lets you breathe through your mouth.
VitalSleep is FDA-cleared and made of a soft material that is BPA-free and latex-free. It is also a bit cheaper than SnoreFighter Now. The company is currently giving you two appliances for $59.95. it comes with a 30-day money back guarantee, and VitalSleep will give you 100 percent free replacements for a full year. It is more comfortable than SnoreFighter Now, and based on my experience, it is very effective.
My Rating: 3.0
Which Product Should I Buy?
With well over 100 products on the market it can obviously be quite daunting to decide, “Which one?”
To help ease the decision process I have created a comparison chart where you can effortlessly assess each product and its features, price, pros and cons. I have also written several detailed reviews for those devices that I believe to be leading products.
If you would rather not spend a lot of time reading reviews, please take a look at the article linked here: My Mouthpiece Recommendation. It’s a list of three products which I believe, based on my extensive experience, are the best options available to people who suffer from snoring.