If you have explored the selection of available mandibular advancement devices then you may have already stumbled across the original SleepPro Standard appliance.
The SleepPro Custom is an upgraded version of this product. If you are newly being introduced to this product line then you should know that this custom version helps you stop snoring by holding your jaw in a forward position while you sleep.
When you drift away to dreamland the muscles in your body relax. This includes the muscles in your face. Gravity pulls your jaw back toward your throat, which obstructs your airway.
As air forces its way through to get to your lungs it vibrates the soft tissue, and this results in a snoring noise. SleepPro Custom holds your jaw so it can’t fall backward. This also means that the airway remains free of obstructions the entire night.
A Closer Look
SleepPro Custom is a highly customizable mouthpiece. Unlike most MADs that allow you to utilize a boil-and-bite technique to achieve a custom fit in the privacy of your home, this one creates your oral device in a laboratory. SleepPro sends you a professional dental impression kit in the mail.
When this arrives you follow the instructions to take a proper impression, and then send it back to the manufacturer. Your customized mouthpiece is professionally made, and sent back to you.
The product is very thin, which means a less bulky feeling in your mouth. It is very safe and flexible to ensure there is no irritation. A standout feature of the mouthpiece is the dual air ports that allow you to breathe freely through your mouth. This is an obvious benefit, making it suitable for individuals with sinus problems, nasal polyps, deviated septum, etc.
Achieving the Perfect Fit
As mentioned, SleepPro will send you a dental impression kit. Inside it will have teeth trays and dental-grade impression clay. You will put the clay into the tray and insert each one carefully into your mouth. Bite down to leave an impression of your teeth, and then remove the trays very slowly.
You want to be careful not to rub them against your teeth while removing, or you can compromise the impression. Place the impression in the included container, and mail it back to the laboratory. As soon as your mouthpiece is made it will be sent back to you, and it will be ready-to-use.
Comparing Standard and Custom Models
SleepPro Standard is already considered a comfortable and effective product, so you might be wondering what exactly the manufacturer did to improve upon the design. Below are a few variances.
- Fitting Process – SleepPro Standard uses the traditional boil-and-bite technique that is typically seen in MADs. You customize the mouthpiece at home, so it is ready-to-use the first night after it arrives. SleepPro Custom is created in a laboratory using a dental impression kit, so the fit might be better, but you do have to wait for it to be sent back to you.
- Fit Comparison – You can achieve a pretty good fit with Standard, but Custom is essentially made for your jaw and teeth. It follows the contours of your mouth for a natural feel. Also, since it is crafted of a material that is super thin, there is a less bulky feeling in your mouth, which allows it to be a bit more comfortable.
- Discreetness – Standard is actually quite discreet, but it is blue, which makes it hard to hide from others in the room. SleepPro Custom is clear, so it is extremely easy to conceal.
- Price – SleepPro Custom costs about four times the amount of Standard.
Getting Familiar with the Company
SleepPro has been focusing on snoring and sleep disorders since 1998. The company is partnered with MEDiTAS Ltd., both of which are based out of Winchester, United Kingdom. Now, you may assume that a company willing to ship internationally will have extremely high shipping charges, but this is not the case. SleepPro has distribution centers throughout the United States, Europe, and Australia.
Positives and Negatives
SleepPro Custom is a well-made product from a trusted manufacturer. However, there is no such thing as a perfect mouthpiece. They all have their share of pros and cons. It is important to become familiar with both to make your decision.
- Designed to hold your jaw forward, thereby keeping your airway clear.
- Advanced fitting process allows for the most precise fit possible.
- Thin and safe material takes up less space in your mouth than some other mouthpieces.
- Established company founded in 1998.
- Air ports allow for mouth breathing.
- Manufacturer states that some denture wearers have had success with it.
- Low shipping charges.
- 30-day money back guarantee.
- May cause soreness in the jaw and/or teeth.
- Higher price than some other anti-snoring mouthpieces, but is right in line with devices that use this fitting process.
- Have to wait to receive the final product, which can take weeks from the initial order.
- Will become rough and unable to be worn comfortably, if you soak or rinse it in water that it too hot.
How Much Does it Cost?
SleepPro Custom sells for $199.99, plus $8.25 for shipping. However, if you have ordered SleepPro Standard in the past six months you can receive a 20 percent discount on Custom.
Also, SleepPro offers a 30-day money back guarantee on all of its devices.
Is SleepPro Custom Right for You?
SleepPro Custom is a mandibular advancement device, but due to its design and material, it is more comfortable than most other MADs. Your oral device will be custom made to precisely fit your jaw and teeth in a laboratory.
The thinner material takes up minimal space, and the air ports make it easy to breathe through your mouth. It is fairly expensive at $199.99, but mouthpieces obtained through your dentist could cost thousands of dollars for about the same fit. So, when you compare apples to apples, the price is fair for what you get.
If you have tried other boil-and-bite MADs, but found them too uncomfortable to wear then SleepPro Custom may be a better option for you since the fit will be more precise. Also, the price is quite high, and there are effective alternatives that cost about half as much.
If you want to try an anti-snoring device that is effective, but half the price, I recommend Good Morning Snore Solution, more commonly known as GMSS.
Unlike MADs, this mouthpiece uses a light suction to attach to your tongue, thereby stopping your tongue from falling back towards your throat. It arrives ready-to-use right out-of-the-box, and its unique design barely takes up any space in your mouth, so it is quite comfortable. GMSS is also latex-free, BPA-free, and cleared by the United States Food and Drug Administration.
My Rating: 3.8
Which Product Should I Buy?
With well over 100 products on the market it can obviously be quite daunting to decide, “Which one?”
To help ease the decision process I have created a comparison chart where you can effortlessly assess each product and its features, price, pros and cons. I have also written several detailed reviews for those devices that I believe to be leading products.
If you would rather not spend a lot of time reading reviews, please take a look at the article linked here: My Mouthpiece Recommendation. It’s a list of three products which I believe, based on my extensive experience, are the best options available to people who suffer from snoring.